Mr Gwilym is part of both the Oxford Trauma Unit at the John Radcliffe Hospital and the Shoulder & Elbow team at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford. In these roles, he personally manages over 1000 patients a year. As a consequence, Mr Gwilym has vast experience in treating both acute injuries and problems resulting from previous injury. He has expertise in both non-operative and surgical management of a wide range of injuries of the limbs.
Mr Gwilym graduated from University College, London in 2000 having previously obtained a First Class degree in Human Sciences. He underwent 12 years of orthopaedic training in London and Oxford before completing specialist fellowships in both trauma surgery, and shoulder & elbow surgery in Sydney, Australia. He has subsequently travelled to numerous centres of excellence throughout Europe to both teach, and learn from other expert surgeons.
Mr Gwilym previously undertook a PhD (DPhil) at the University of Oxford in which he investigated the causes of pain in musculoskeletal disease. He remains an active clinician scientist, conducting clinical trials and basic science research at the University of Oxford. Mr Gwilym is a senior lecturer at the University in recognition of his ongoing research and teaching in Orthopaedics. He also supervises students studying towards higher-degrees in Orthopaedics.
- Management of fractures and tendon injuries of the arms or legs.
- Arthroscopic shoulder surgery for dislocations, stiffness, shoulder impingement and rotator cuff problems.
- Shoulder replacements for arthritis and problems following fracture.
- Elbow surgery for stiffness, pain and instability.
- Surgery to release compressed nerves around the elbow.